- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and line a tin with baking parchment. (The book suggests using a 23cm square tin).
- Warm the Marsala/brandy/rum in a small pan and add the apricots and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Toast the almonds for 5 minutes and once cool, roughly chop.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Sift in flour and fold in the nuts and apricots.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until the top has formed a crust but the underneath is still soft (mine needed a little longer).
- Cool in the tin and then cut into squares.
I really am very impressed with the recipes from Gifts from the Kitchen so far. These brownies are exactly how they should be; crispy and gooey! I think next time I make these I’ll add in cherries and maybe chocolate chips too. I’m planning on attempting the Macarons next (I picked up the food colouring especially earlier today)! I am a little nervous though as I’ve tried them before and they didn’t quite work out right. This is a slightly different recipe however, so fingers crossed!